Last updated: Feb 2022
2. Data Usage
2.1. Usage of Data Provided Directly by YouPersonal data that you share with Cognni may be used for the following purposes:
- Enabling the online purchase of Cognni services;
- Enabling you to activate or register certain products or enhance functionality;
- Developing, operating, improving, delivering, maintaining and implementing our services’ functionality (document tracking, access control, etc.);
- Providing you with information about Cognni services;
- Storing your preferences for future interactions and communications from Cognni;
- Resolving customer and/or product issues;
- Enhancing the safety and security of our services;
- Collecting and handling feedback;
- Complying with applicable laws and regulations;
- Protecting our rights, privacy, safety, or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others, and to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that we may sustain; and
- Providing you with personalized messages, special offers and advertisements that are relevant to your personal interests, based on the information you have shared with us and on the information that we have collected through cookies or similar techniques regarding your use Cognni services and/or the Website/social media/blogs.
2.2. Usage of Your Data Provided by 3rd PartiesWhile interacting with a business customer, supplier, or business partner on your behalf, we may request from them your personal data for purposes that include, but are not limited to:
- Implementing normal product functionality, e.g. document tracking, access control;
- Customer relationship management;
- Information access facilitation;
- Communication improvements;
- Customer interaction analysis;
- Security programs integration or implementation;
- Assisting us in our participation in certification programs;
- Addressing your service related requests, updating you about their status as well as answering your questions; and
- Sending you satisfaction surveys after your request is resolved or your question is answered.
3. Data Collection – Types
3.1. Personal Data Collected in the Purchase ProcessThe purchase process involves communication with Cognni in which you might be asked for data that could be classified as. “ Personal Data”. This data might be incorporated into the services and includes, but is not limited to, the following:
- Your name;
- Your email address;
- Your telephone number;
- Details about services that you have purchased; and
- Financial/transaction information, such as credit card and payment information.
3.2. Personal Data Collected via Social Media
3.3. Personal Data Collected via the WebsiteIn addition, we may collect personal data via cookies or similar techniques, including, but not limited to:
- Your IP address;
- Your cookie ID;
- Device specific information such as your web browser, hardware model, operating system version, advertising identifiers, unique device identifiers and language preferences;
- The advertisements you view or click through;
- Electronic communications protocols;
- Web pages visited on the Website;
- Your user preferences;
3.4. Personal Data Collected Through Normal Use of Our ProductsAs part of normal use of the Cognni Services, in order to provide various functionalities such as document tracking, audit trail, access control and other features, certain personal data may be collected, stored, and shared with authorized users, including but not limited to email addresses, passwords, filenames, and audit trail information of file access including date/timestamps, the user that accesses a file, IP addresses of the user, file forwarding activity, and changes to the file security profile. However, Cognni never stores the content of the files themselves – we only store information about the policies surrounding what users can do with those files. When such information is collected, we are acting on behalf of customers who have subscribed to our services and it is the customer, not Cognni, that sets the policies surrounding how other users can access and use those files. If you do not want this information about your use of files to be collected, please contact the customer directly. For a complete list of fields and activities please see the section on privacy and personal data of the Cognni EULA / TOS.
3.5. Personal Data Collected via 3rd PartiesDuring the course of communications with Cognni on behalf of a supplier, business partner or business customer of Cognni, we may collect, without limitation:
- Your name;
- Your email address;
- Your telephone number;
- Your IP address; and
- Name and address of the company you work for.
4. Data Collection – Vectors
4.1. Collecting Data Directly From YouCognni may collect personal data from you in through various means, including, but not limited to:
- Registering as a Cognni user;
- Registering a purchase;
- Your communications with Cognni can be product- or service-related, and may include the contents of your questions to us, or requests that you addressed to us;
- Contact information collection forms throughout the Website, e.g. when downloading white papers and information sheets;
- Communicating with one of our Cognni Customer Care representatives by email, phone or in writing;
- Ordering a service;
- Participating in social media activities related to a Cognni promotion, e.g. clicking “like” or “share”;
- Asking to receive messages on your mobile phone/device;
- Subscribing to a Cognni newsletter;
- Sending us a completed reply card, included with your Cognni services;
- Voluntarily participating in product testing or surveys;
- When using Cognni connected services and/or apps, you may be asked whether you wish to share data with Cognni, e.g. sharing your contact, organizational, or location data;
- Cookies placed on your computer or mobile device when you visit the Website; and
- Social Listening: Cognni may search the Internet for relevant and publicly available content and use it to improve its services, resolve consumer issues and provide targeted marketing.
4.2. Collecting Your Data via 3rd PartiesDuring the course of communications with Cognni on behalf of a supplier, business partner or a customer, we may collect your data through various means, including, but not limited to:
- Authentication process via 3rd-party systems, such as Microsoft OAuth or Google SSO;
- Registering purchases;
- Provision of services by or on behalf of Cognni;
- Communications with Cognni;
- Developing partnerships;
- When accessing Cognni facilities or systems;
- Participating in fairs, events or promotions; and
- Voluntarily participating in testing or surveys.
5. Sharing your Personal Data with Others
Cognni may share your personal data with service providers, business partners and other third parties, to the extent permitted by applicable law and in the following circumstances:
- Disclosure of generic aggregated demographic information not linked to any personal identification information regarding visitors and users to business partners, trusted affiliates and advertisers.
- Sell you a product in a joint marketing activity with another company (business partner). The agreements with these business partners will limit the purposes for which your personal data can be used and disclosed, and will require your personal data to be adequately safeguarded. We will inform you in the event that such a relationship exists and these companies’ identity before processing your data for such joint marketing efforts.
- Disclosure of your data to other companies such as IT and communications service providers, testing companies, data management support partners and other parties bearing a necessary relationship for Cognni to provide its services.
- While you interact with Cognni as a business customer, supplier or business partner, disclosure of personal data available in reports and other materials provided by you and/or your company that conforms to an engagement with another business partner and/or a supplier.
- In the event that Cognni sells a business or a part of a business to another company, such a transfer of ownership could include the transfer of your personal data directly related to that business to the purchasing company.
5.2. ConsentIn the event that we are required by law to obtain your consent, or when we think that your consent is appropriate in the circumstances, we will obtain your consent before we share your personal data.
6. Exercising Your Rights
6.2. Opt-In/OutOur commercial messages to you will include an opt-out option. If you choose not to receive from us personalized offers or information, please inform us by selecting “opt-out” on emails or other messages you receive. Where required by applicable law, we will ask you to “opt-in” or affirmatively consent to the processing of your personal data.
8. Personal Data Protection
Cognni uses various procedures and technologies to protect your personal data. These are sensitive to the type of processed data and involve various techniques, including, but not limited to: Access controls; Firewalls; Secure servers; and Data encryption. For more detailed information about your personal data, including how and where it is stored and protected, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please keep in mind that we cannot guarantee that the internet itself is 100% secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, transmission of personal information to or from our site is at your own risk. You should only access the Website and services within a secure environment.
9. Special Information for Parents
While the Website and services are not intentionally targeted at children under the age of 16, it is Cognni’s policy to comply with the law when it requires parent or guardian permission before children’s information is collected, used or disclosed. Cognni strongly recommends that parents take an active role in supervising the online activities of their children. If you believe we have collected personal data from a person who is under the age of 16, please contact us at email@example.com.
Cognni adheres to the guidelines of GDPR that require privacy policies to be concise, transparent, intelligible and easily accessible which are an important part of fair processing.
12. Contacting Cognni
If you have any concerns or questions you feel were not adequately addressed in this policy, or would like to find out more information about your personal data being handled by Cognni, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.